For this tour I started using my Media Star remote control that runs my music with the magnet ankle switch. Early on I realized that it was running about 2 shows before it stopped reliably working. Changing batteries every couple of shows solved the problem, but is annoying and I have a feeling that’s not how it’s supposed to work.
In the show I use the ankle (magnet reed switch) in a few spots to make the music play seamlessly, however there’s one spot where I need it as I can’t use my hands. I have someone from the audience playing sound effects from a fake music remote, and I need to trigger them when they push the button. With the ankle switch giving me problems, I needed to think of a way to make the gag work.
I defaulted to the mentalist’s old friend, Dual Reality! I put three different colored dots on my remote control.
I simply say “push the blue dot” or “push the red dot”, which implies to the audience that there are different buttons, when in reality it’s all the same button. I’ve done this for one day (2 shows) and it’s working out well and is a great, simple solution to the problem of the ankle switch not behaving properly.
Currently I’m using Audio Ape to run the music to my show. I really don’t care that people know or are aware that I’m using a remove control, versus a sound guy running the music. I keep the remote on my belt and push it as needed. Pretty simple. Lately I’ve been thinking about adding … Continue reading “Adding an Ankle Switch…”
Currently I’m using Audio Ape to run the music to my show. I really don’t care that people know or are aware that I’m using a remove control, versus a sound guy running the music. I keep the remote on my belt and push it as needed. Pretty simple.
Lately I’ve been thinking about adding a ankle switch to one of my remotes (I have two). Essentially what this will do is allow me to play music without having to push a button with my hands. For me there are a couple of moments where I want a sound cue, but my hands are full and hitting the cue can be a bit awkward.
Yesterday I added an ankle switch to both of my Audio Ape remote controls. It was super easy to do, especially after I found this tutorial:
One of my worries about altering a remote to run off an ankle switch was that I would no longer function as a remote and that I’d need a magnet to run that button. I was surprised to learn that the remote functions normally as well as functions when run with a magnet!